Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Fourth Fade

Fade in

NEWSPAPER ADVERTISEMENT – PRESENT - ADVERTISEMENT
Urgent: – Cook wanted for a small restaurant, varied menu, good salary.
INT - LINU’S RESTAURANT - KITCHEN - PRESENT

Helen is sitting on a chair with her feet on the table, reading a newspaper and eating biscuits. Disturbed, she unceasingly sets in order the earrings in her ears; a young woman comes in through the door with a newspaper in her hand (DD). She curiously looks around the place. As Helen is standing with her back to the door, she doesn’t see the young woman coming in, and, as she turns around, she is startled and falls on the floor.
DD
I’m sorry, lady.... I’ve come because of the ad for a cook.
Helen stands up with DD’s help and ashamed she asks her:
Helen
Do you have any experience?
DD
I do... I came for
the good paid check.
Helen
Do you cook?
DD
No...
Helen
Have you ever worked as a cook?

DD
No, actually not.
Helen
So why did you come here?
DD
I want the job as a cook. It’s a good salary.
Helen
OK, but do you cook?
DD
No...
Helen throws her arms out and the young woman shows her the newspaper.
DD
I came for the job as a cook.
Helen
For the last time; do you cook?
DD
No...
Helen
OK, what do you do?
The young woman looks around the kitchen, takes the broom and sweeps the floor, collecting the little bits of biscuits. She takes the shovel and puts the crumbs into it. Then she throws it in the garbage.
Helen
Is that all you know how to do?
DD
Yes, that’s it...
Helen
All right then, thank you...
DD
All right!
Helen and the young woman stay still, looking at each other, until the young woman walks to the door and goes out. Helen smiles, puts the chair towards the door and sits down. Without understanding very well what had happened, Helen removes the earrings and puts them on the newspaper that is on the table. A man (Arthur) comes in through the door.
Arthur
Hello, I came because of the ad for a cook.
Helen
You cook, right? Really?
Arthur
Yes, I guess so... I cook, yes, at least some things... food, for example, even though I’ve already cooked towels, you know? For cleaning...
Helen
Clever... That’s good, OK! Do something, a salad, for example...
Arthur
Of course... with pleasure...
The man puts the newspaper over the table and rolls up his sleeves. He goes to the sink, takes some vegetables and cuts them with ability with a knife. Helen observes carefully.
Helen
You are skillful with your hands.
Arthur
You are not the first woman who told me that.
Helen
That isn’t what I meant.
Arthur
There is a great difference between what you said and what I heard... But, I know... I’m sorry. In my country the things are never what they seem.
Helen
Why, were you born in neverland?
Arthur
Almost... Brazil, do you know about it?
Helen
No... I mean... a little. The capital is Buenos Aires, right?
Arthur
You came close.
Helen
I was never very good at capitals.
Arthur
That’s fine. I’m not good at your language either... so we’re even.
The man finishes the salad and invites Helen to have a seat. He pushes the newspapers over to the table end. Helen sits down and he serves her the salad; she tastes and likes it.
Arthur
It would be better with the right sauce, but…
Helen
The presentation was perfect. I think we could give it a try if you want.
Arthur
You were not...
Helen (taking a pencil and a paper)
The first woman to tell you this... I know, tell me, what is your social security number?
Arthur
Hey... I don’t have any... social security number.
Helen
That’s OK, my father has two... he can lend you one.
Both fake laugh.
Helen
Passport?
Arthur
I’m sorry...
Helen
Let me see if I’ve understood... You haven’t got neither a passport, nor a social security number? In short, you’re what? Illegal?
Arthur
I guess so. But like marijuana, do you understand?
Helen
That’s a very bad analogy... Your name?
Arthur
It’s Arthur...
Helen
I’m very sorry...
Arthur
That’s all right. I understand. Good luck!
Discouraged the man rolls up the newspaper on the table (he takes Helen’s earrings) and leaves, disconcerted. Helen laments the bad luck and looks for her earrings on the floor, while another man comes in through the door and she hits her head on the table.
Giuliano
How are you? I’m here for the vacancy as a cook... I have big experience.
Cut to
INT - LINU’S RESTAURANT - THE INAUGURATION DAY - KITCHEN - PRESENT
Completely drunk Giuliano is sleeping and snoring, sitting on a chair in the kitchen; Helen is dressed up for the party and tries desperately to wake up the man.
Helen
Wake up, you damned hawker, son of a ...
Giuliano
I just had a little... No, mom, I... go to school...
Helen
I’m not your mother, idiot.
DD arrives through the back door, so that Helen can’t see her, and sees Helen trying to wake Giuliano up. Judie enters the saloon door and without understanding she asks:
Judie
Who is he? The cook?
DD
No... I’m the cook. I take care of the kitchen…
Helen
Oh, no!! You again??
Judie
Do you cook?
DD
No...
Helen
Don’t ask... What am I going to do?
Judie
She doesn’t cook?
Helen and DD
No!

Judie
Well, I didn’t really get it... The guests are on their way. Everybody is drinking as much as they want. The atmosphere is nice... But, everybody is coming to eat, including Stevie, and he’s not alone.
Helen lets go of Giuliano and goes to the door, looks through it and puts her hands over her face. Then she looks at the stove and at DD.
Helen
Don’t you?...
DD
I’m sorry.
Helen
OK, you go back to the party and stall the guests... (to Julie)
And you don’t disturb (to DD)
Helen goes to the stove. She takes an apron, a pan and fills it with water. She takes two onions and throws them into it. Then she turns on the fire and goes to the fridge. She tries to take something from inside and almost falls into it when Arthur enters the door (at the back).

Arthur
Hey, girl...
He looks around and sees DD scratching her head, Helen inside the fridge and Giuliano sleeping. Helen comes out from the fridge with a bird in her hand, hits her head on the door and messes up her hair. She sees Arthur.
Helen
What are you doing here?
Arthur

I came to give back your earrings (giving them to her). But now, to be honest... I think I’ll save your night.
He goes to the stove, looks into the pan, smiles and throws the onions away. He takes the bird from Helen’s hand, puts it on the table, takes her apron off, arranges her hair and says:
Arthur
If you allow me, go and take care of your guests and smile... you have a beautiful smile.
Helen
Don’t you know what I have?
Arthur
Besides pretty eyes? Don’t worry.
Arthur pushes Helen out through the saloon door, puts on the apron, picks up a knife and turns to DD, who is biting her nails.
Arthur
And you, what’s your name?
DD
Everybody calls me DD...

Arthur
Nice meet you DD, take all the pieces of meat there are in the fridge and put them one by one in the microwave, for about 5 minutes... Can you do that?
D.D:
That I can do...
Arthur
Great.
Cut to
INT - LINU’S RESTAURANT - KITCHEN - PRESENT
Arthur prepares many dishes under Julie and Helen’s attentive eyes. DD serves the tables and Arthur lays a tablecloth over Giuliano, who is sleeping under the table.

Cut to
INT - LINU’S RESTAURANT - KITCHEN - PRESENT
Arthur places two prepared plates on the tray and goes to serve them. When she’s just about to go out, Judie brings her back, takes out some money from her bag and whispers in DD’s ear. Helen enters and observes the two of them. Then DD draws all the spittle that she has in her nose and lungs and spits it out over the plates.
Startled, Helen opens her eyes wide and Arthur pours more sauce over the plate. Satisfied, Julie sends DD to the bar.
Judie
It’s Stevie’s order.
Judie takes Helen by the arm and goes back to the bar.
Cut to
INT - LINU’S RESTAURANT - KITCHEN - PRESENT
Arthur pours some coffee in a cup. Then he walks up to Giuliano and puts the coffee close to his nose. He counts five seconds on his watch and Giuliano wakes up and drinks the coffee. DD enters the scene counting the tips that she has received, sitting on a chair. Helen and Judie come into the kitchen.
Arthur
So, how was it?
Helen
It was incredible... Thanks a lot, really! If I could do something...
Judie
And the sleepyhead, has he woken up?
Giuliano
Oh, my God, what happened?
Helen
You’ve been drunk... and, of course, you’ve lost the job!
Giuliano
Oh, my God... I’m sorry... Maria will kill me. I really needed this job. I drank because I was so nervous, my God... What am I going to tell her?... You know, I’ve never drunk before. My God, little Isabel... the operation...
Arthur
Well, do you really want to do something for me?
Helen
Of course... anything!
Arthur
Give him another chance, OK?

Helen
No chance, the job is yours...
Arthur
I need help. Can you do that?
Giuliano
Yes, of course...
Helen
Are you sure?
Arthur
Yeah... Don’t worry.
DD
Hey... and what about me?
Judie
She’s a good girl...
Arthur
She helped a lot. I can teach her the rest... She even spat on your friend’s plate...
Helen
OK, OK, she can stay too...
DD
I liked this place... I earned good money... Just look at this (showing her tips).
Arthur
Very good, it was a difficult evening. We all deserve to rest. I’ll see you tomorrow, at...
Helen
Nine...
Arthur
By the way... what’s your name...
Helen
Helen!
Arthur
It’s a pleasure, Helen!
Arthur calls DD and Giuliano, and the three of them go out through the back door, leaving Helen and Judie alone. Helen goes to the stove. Judie takes two plates and Helen, scraping the bottom of the pans, serves some food. They sit down at the table and talk.
Judie
He’s so... so...
Helen
Masculine, cook, skillful, handsome, interesting...
Judie
I was going to say polite... Gosh, I think I’m in love...
Helen smiles and, when she passes her hand over the table, she finds the pair of earrings that she had lost, under a cloth. She takes them in her hand and stares at them. The camera closes-in on the earrings.

Cut to
INT - HELEN AND JUDIE'S APARTAMENT - HELEN'S BEDROOM - PRESENT
Helen lies down on her bed. She plays with her belly and happily rolls over the bed. Then she stops, looks at her hand and sees the engagement ring. She takes it off her finger, looks sadly, opens the drawer of the bedside table and puts it away.

Fade Out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home