Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Second Fade

Fade In

INTERNAL – HELEN AND JUDIE’S APARTMENT – HELEN’S BEDROOM - PRESENT

Helen is sitting on her bed folding some clothes. She stops, looks around, and then looks at the wedding ring on her finger; she tries to take it off, but the ring is stuck; she tries once again (falls on the floor) and doesn’t get up. Sitting on the floor she perceives a box, (a shoebox); picks it up, opens it, looks inside and starts smiling.

Cut for
INTERNAL – HELEN AND JUDIE’S APARTMENT – LIVING-ROOM - PAST
Judie is sitting on a pile of boxes (two) observing the dry leaves of a plant in her hands. Helen enters the scene by opening the street door with difficulty, carrying a heavy box. Then she closes the door with her foot, lets go of the box and sits down on the sofa, exhausted.
Judie
My God, little one, you must be thirsty? (speaking to the plant).
Helen
Thirsty, tired, offended and full of hatred for the world...
Judie looks at the plant and then jumps up from the boxes. Looking to the camera she walks to the sofa and sits down.
Helen
You know, after five years, all my life fit in two bags and ten boxes...
Judie
Eight, dear... eight boxes.
Helen
Te... I’ve even got a swollen vein on my neck to prove it...
Judie
No, no... I’ve counted, look... One, two... (till eight).
Helen
Have you counted those two that you squashed with your butt?
Judie looks at the boxes and smiles.
Judie
Gosh, how crazy; but tell me, how are you?
Helen
More relieved, better... I don’t know, I still haven’t stopped to think about it. But, anyway, thanks for letting me stay here. It was all so unexpected...

Judie
No problem... But, tell me; did you catch the two of them red-handed?
Helen
Yeah...
Judie
Doing it, was it?....
Helen
Yeah...
Judie
Naked, both of them, doing it, in the bed? ...
Helen
Yes, don’t you get it?
Judie stops, thinking. She puts the plant on the sofa table, then shakes her head and gets up.
Judie
No, actually not... He never really deluded me. Remember Dewey’s party, he made you change your shoes... “This doesn’t match your dress”... Remember?
Judie walks up behind Helen and massages her back.
Helen
That’s ridiculous.
Judie
You think so? So tell me... what does he do for a living?
Helen
He hosts a sports program. Why?

Judie
All right... Besides, how many times did he go to a basketball game? By the way, what was his favorite program?
Helen
Opera...
Judie
And especially?
Helen
Madame Butterfly. I’ve lost count of how many times... Oh, my God...
Helen covers her face with her hands and stamps on the floor with her feet. Judie jumps over
the sofa and sits down beside her.
Judie
OK, more subtle... How many times did you see Stevie scratching his... (making gestures over her crotch)?
Helen
Never!
Judie
Do you remember the last time you saw Stevie belching in public or picking his nose?
Helen
Oh Gosh... no, heavens... the guy is English!
Judie
Mick Jagger too, but he does all that... His hands are everywhere...
Helen
Oh, my God... He always did peed sitting down... and stuck his pinky out when he drank his coffee...

Judie
I arrest my case.
They look at each other and Helen huddles on the sofa.
Helen
Wow... just look at what has become of my life: I’ve been betrayed by a complete stranger, who I’ve lived with for five years and who decides to “come out of the closet” at the age of 45... Gosh, how pathetic this is...
Judie
Not as pathetic as a 45-year-old guy living in the closet... That’s too much, even for an Englishman!
Helen
You know, you’re right... it is really very dry!
Helen picks up the plant from the sofa table, gets on her feet and goes to the kitchen. Judie puts her feet on the table and the intercom rings. She stands up and goes to answer it.
Intercom talk
Judie
Hello? Who’s there?
Stevie (off screen)
Hi, it’s me. I need to talk to Helen...
Judie
Just a minute, please.
Stevie (off screen)
“onkie donkie”
Judie
“onkie donkie”, please. What is this guy, a panda?
Stevie (off screen)
I can hear you...

Judie sticks her tongue out and releases the button. When she turns around, Helen comes out from the kitchen with the plant and a pitcher full of water in her hands.
Helen
Who was it?
Judie
You won’t believe it, but... he is down stairs!
Helen
Who, Mick Jagger?
Judie
Very funny... Stevie!
Helen goes to the window and puts the plant on the sill. She puts her head out and looks down, then at Judie and then through the window again...
Helen
Stevie... My Stevie?
Helen puts her head out again and this time she spills out all the water from the pot through the window, without wetting the plant. She wipes a drop from the window with her finger. Then she enters and smiles satisfied.

Helen
You can tell him to come up!
Judie (smiling)
You missed the plant!
Helen
But I hit the Kiwi!
Helen takes the plant again and goes to the kitchen. Judie presses the button.
Judie
You can come up...
Judie opens the door and throws herself on the sofa.
Stevie enters the scene through the door, all wet and trying to dry himself with a handkerchief (with his pinky outstretched).
Judie
Hi Stevie... Is it raining outside?
Stevie
Very funny... Where is she?
Helen comes out of the kitchen with a plant in one hand and the pot full of water in the other, pretending that she hasn’t seen Stevie. She goes to the window and calmly waters the plant.
Stevie
Did you do this?
Helen (stops and turns to Stevie):
No...
Judie starts laughing and, still laughing, she points at the bedroom and goes towards it. She opens the door, enters and closes it. She laughs loudly.
Stevie
This was very mature of you!
Helen
Just like it was very mature of you to bring a boy into my bed!... What do you want?
Stevie
To talk to you!
Helen walks to the sofa and sits down. Stevie covers the sofa with the handkerchief and then sits on it by her side. Then she jumps up from the sofa and sits down on the other one.
Stevie:
Do I make you sick?
Helen
More than during the hair transplant, but now... I’m trying to keep myself from strangling you... you... bastard...
Stevie
Look, I... I didn’t come here to fight with you. In fact, I feel very bad about what happened. I won’t apologize for what I did, it simply happened...
Helen
Right, like your hemorrhoids... which I thought was because of all the time you spend sitting... But now it’s clear; it’s because of all the time you spend... lying down!
Stevie
I am who I am...
Judie (off screen)
Queer!
Pause
Stevie
It took me a long time to discover who I am... and our relationship wasn’t the same anymore. You weren’t any longer what I needed...
Helen
Oh yeah, I didn’t have the right equipment!
Stevie
I won’t apologize for what I am...
Helen
You don’t have to apologize, nor even explain to me, but I want to see you speaking like this in public, to your fans... all the men...
Stevie
In public?
Helen
Yeah, in public... Why? Do you think that nobody will know?
Stevie
I... Helen, please, you know I’m a public person. That would affect my image, my credibility!
Helen
Oh yeah, the only reward you would get now is “The Queen of the Sportscast”...
Stevie
You wouldn’t do that, would you?
Helen
Do I have to answer that now?
Stevie
I don’t want you to be my enemy... I like you.
Helen
Nice way of showing that... How old was he? Eighteen?
Stevie
I don’t want it all to end like this... Let me do something for you... anything... please.
Helen
All right... jump from the window.
Stevie
No, seriously... please.
Helen
OK... that’s cool, so... simply die! How about that?

Stevie
I don’t expect you to understand, or even to forgive me. I don’t even know if I forgive myself. I only know that I couldn’t stand repressing my feelings anymore.
Helen
You have nothing to fear from me. Your image is safe... The only thing that hurt was to face that I’ve lost five years of my life, you know?
Stevie
You’ll be fine... I’ll give you alimony... some money, what do you think?
Helen
I don’t want your money... I don’t want anything from you!
They stop speaking and look at each other. Then he takes a checkbook out of his pocket, writes a check, takes it out, folds it, and puts it on the sofa table.
Helen
I won’t allow you to humiliate me even more!
Stevie
Here. This is exactly the amount of money you had when you came to live with me. At that time you had a dream...
Helen
You used to say it was madness...
Stevie
Who am I to speak about madness, at this point of my life? And if we are, we are...
Judie (off screen)
For God’s sake, keep the money, idiot!
Helen
Do you know that you are a piece of shit?
Stevie
I know, and this piece of shit is going to do the best thing it can do for you now...
Helen
Commit suicide... No, no, better; tell your mother...
Stevie
No... I’ll walk out of your life.
Stevie stands up and walks to the door. He opens it, about to leave, but then stops, turns around and says:
Stevie
I know this will cut the magic of the moment, but, by any chance, did you take, not on purpose of course... a shoebox, with my baseball cards? You see... my daddy gave it to me, before he died...

Helen
Cards, no... no... your daddy... he was a good man.
Stevie
Oh yeah, wasn’t he?
Helen
He was a great guy... What did he die from?
Stevie
Cancer...
Helen
Where?
Stevie
Of the prostate... It was foolishness... He always refused to get check-ups...
Helen
You won’t have problem with that, will you? Actually, you might even like it...
Stevie looks down, turns to the door and goes out, slamming the door. When hearing the noise Judie leaves the bedroom and walks to the sofa, sits down and sees the check.
Helen
“Keep the money, idiot?”
Judie
I was watching “The Million Dollar Show”...
Helen
I see...
Judie
He has more hair.
Helen
Implants...
Judie
Do you have the photos?
Helen
They should be somewhere in this mess. Why?
Judie
Internet, public humiliation.
Helen
Hmm... I liked that, Saturday night...
Judie takes the check and shows it to Helen.
Judie
What will you do with this?
Helen
Make a dream come true...


Cut to
GRAPHIC ANIMATION – A NEWSPAPER – ENCIRCLED ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT – for sale: ITALIAN RESTAURANT...


Cut to
INT - ITALIAN RESTAURANT - KITCHEN - PRESENT
Helen and Judie are sitting at a table talking to an Italian. The man gestures, proudly showing the place, when a group of armed men arrive. A thug pushes the two women out the door.
Cut to

GRAPHIC ANIMATION – A NEWSPAPER – ENCIRCLED ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT – (off screen, you can hear shots and sounds of fighting)
For sale: beautiful Chinese restaurant with huge clientele...

Cut to
INT. – CHINESE RESTAURANT – KITCHEN – PRESENT.
Helen and Judie are talking to a Chinese man, who offers them a cookie. Judie eats it, impressed, when suddenly a cook appears with a sack in his hand. He drops it and several cats run out of it. The two women run out the door.
Cut to
GRAPHIC ANIMATION – A NEWSPAPER – ENCIRCLED ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT –(off screen, you hear cats mewing and a voice calling them)
french restaurant for sale, elegant...
Cut to

INT. – FRENCH RESTAURANT – KITCHEN – PRESENT.

Helen and Judie are amazed by the cleanliness of the restaurant. A man proudly shows them the shining pots and pans. Helen gets enthusiastic and Judie opens a door and some rats run out and toward the two women. They run out of the place.
Cut to
EXT. – FRENCH RESTAURANT – SIDEWALK IN FRONT – PRESENT.

The camera shows Judie and Helen running from an enormous number of rats and the camera closes on one of them. (Off screen, you hear them screaming)
Fade out

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home